JVK-Naga Movers (B) Ltd.
F101 2nd Floor,
Dhaka 1211, Bangladesh
HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND PERSONAL EFFECTS
- A foreigner may import used household goods and personal effects into Bangladesh duty free if he or she is a Privileged Person. A Privileged Person is defined as a foreign diplomat, an employee of a UN agency, some NGO employees, or a foreign company which has a contract with the Bangladesh government that specifically states their employees are such.
In the case of a Privileged Person, he or she must obtain a Customs Pass Book.
- The shippers employer must apply for the passbook when the shipper first arrives in Bangladesh. The application process normally takes at least 25-30 days. The passbook must be issued in order for the shipment to be cleared duty-free.
Thus, we strongly recommend that you hold shipments at origin until the shipper receives his/her passbook.
- All other foreigners and returning Bangladesh nationals, who do not meet the above criteria, may import household goods and personal effects into Bangladesh, but they will be subject to duty. The duty amount varies from item to item.
The shipper must be in Bangladesh at the time of clearance as the original passport is required by customs. Also Original Bill of lading (all 3 originals) must be couriered to the JVK office, OBL copies are not accepted.
- Clearance time for FCL shipments is normally 5 working days and 3 working days for air shipments.
LCL shipments often take up to two weeks from arrival before they are made available for clearance by the port authority. Please plan accordingly for this delay.
- Please ensure that the shippers name, as shown all packages and documents, is the same as shown in his/her passport. Otherwise, delays with customs may occur.
- As Bangladesh typically has very strong monsoons, please ensure that the shipments are adequately waterproofed.
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
Goods prohibited from entering Bangladesh include firearms, ammunition, pornographic material, gambling instruments, narcotics, and subversive literature.
Never mix household goods and personal effects with commercial cargo. Office furniture, stationary, and office machinery are considered commercial cargo. The importation of commercial cargo is very complex and will delay the import of household goods. If you are not sure, please ask JVK.
MOTOR VEHICLES (AUTOS AND MOTORBIKES)
- Diplomats and Privileged Persons may import a vehicle into Bangladesh duty free.
Vehicles must be less than 3 years old.
All other foreigners and Bangladesh nationals may import a motor vehicle into Bangladesh, but it will be subject to duty. Also, the process is long and tedious, so there will be port storage of at least one month. This is approximately Usd 750.00 per month. The duty is approximately 100% of the new value of the vehicle (as determined by Bangladesh Customs).
ANIMALS AND PETS
- Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Bangladesh with no quarantine period. The documents necessary at the time of import are a current health certificate (not more than 7 days old), a current vaccination card and a letter of no objection from the Bangladesh government.
Consign both sea and air shipments to:
Shipper (name spelt exactly as in passport)
c/o his or her company name and
address in Bangladesh
JVK Naga Movers (B) Ltd.
F101 2nd Floor,
Mohakhali, Dhaka 1211, Bangladesh
Tel: 880-2-989 8784
Fax: 880-2-885 8164